The classrooms that now house the Senior Block made up the school that was known as Marist Miramar, established in February 1941 . This school was run by the Marist Brothers for boys, from Years 5-8.
In the area at the end of Miramar Avenue past the current school hall was Holy Cross School. This school, established in 1932, was run by the Mercy Sisters; a school for girls, Years 1-8, and boys Years 1-4.
Two Sisters of Mercy, Sisters Norbert and Rosalie pioneered Holy Cross School, commencing teaching in St Columban’s Hall from 1930 until the school on the Miramar Ave was officially opened in 1932. Many Sisters, and from 1962, lay teachers, followed the original Sisters; they worked with tremendous spirit and dedication, enduring hardships and frustrations along the way but always they kept the needs of the children to the fore.
In 1983 the two schools, Marist Miramar and Holy Cross Miramar amalgamated and became Marist Holy Cross. In 1989 the school became known as Holy Cross.
Over the years as the buildings aged little money was available for modernisation and so staff and students endured, at times, a challenging environment. However, it would be true to say, the original pioneering spirit has been evident throughout the history of Holy Cross School. Key people, including Principals, Board and Parent representatives, and Parish Priests have continued to drive changes to make the wonderful school we have today.
The first Maori to occupy Te Whanganui-a-Tara (Wellington Harbour and area) lived on the island of Motukairangi, now Miramar Peninsular. Within the island there was a lagoon, this area was drained in 1840 and later became a racecourse, reputedly NZ’s first. The lagoon was known as Te Rotokura (translation of this is: the red lake- and this was because of the red coloured reeds on the lagoon but for our school this is also significant because the word kura when used as a verb means to be educated and when used as a noun is school. So it is very fitting that this name has been chosen for our school’s newest building- Te Rotokura Administration Block- It recognises the history of the land as well as the purpose of the school.