Special Catholic Character
At Holy Cross we are working to maintain the history and values of our two founding orders, the Mercy Sisters and the Marist Brothers, whilst also making them our own. Our shared values are discussed regularly and opportunities to learn about and develop them are included as part of school assemblies, class prayer, values group and reflection times as well as being included in the natural opportunities that arise as part of the school day. The values we focus on at Holy Cross include: Respect, Excellence, Family Spirit, Justice, Reconciliation, Courage, Presence, Compassion, Service, Diversity and Reflection.
As a Catholic School we implement and integrate the New Zealand Catholic Religious Education Programme at levels of the school. Formal Religious Education lessons are held a minimum of twice weekly but Catholic Character underpins all we do at Holy Cross school. Special feast days are recognised and celebrated regularly. The school comes together at least once a term for a school mass or liturgy. These are celebrated either in the school hall or at Holy Cross Church, which is a short walk from the school. The school and parish work closely together to implement the Sacramental programme.
We care deeply for our students and their extended families and we work with all students to help them become the best they possibly can.
We are a Christ centred, child focussed, living, loving, learning community.
Our vision is for each child to achieve more than he/she ever dreamed possible.
Celebrating diversity - promoting excellence
At Holy Cross we celebrate the uniqueness of each individual and the diversity of cultures within our Catholic School Community. We promote excellence in all areas of school life and focus on both understanding and living the Gospel Values.
Let Your Light Shine
Ka Whiti Mai Te Ra
MISSION- defines who we are and what we do as we strive to reach our vision
VALUES- shape our actions
- For each person to know who he/she is- To know self
- For each person to be accepted, respected and treated with love and kindness
- For each child to be happy, secure, reach their potential,
- Teachers to model, to live, what our school expects
- Involve family- natural extension ( Community)
- Wonder of the world, bringing their gifts to the fore, passionate learners
- Celebrating differences and similarities
- Social Justice
- Joy and sadness acknowledged
- Sense of belonging- where they are heard and valued
- Pride in who they are
- Working together for best outcomes
- To provide an experience of ‘living in community’
- Students to leave with a kete - containing skills and values